Our Mechanicsburg factory is one of the largest manufacturers in the area and produces a large portion of Purina’s dry pet food portfolio, including Puppy Chow®, Dog Chow®, Beneful®, Pro Plan®, Alpo®, Kitten Chow®, Cat Chow®, Friskies®, Purina ONE® and Kit ‘N Kaboodle. In this specific role, you’ll safely produce quality products at the right rate and the right time, by leading continuous improvement processes and implementing tools to achieved desired goals.
The Materials Manager is a key member of the procurement and logistics teams and is integral to ensuring that the plant has adequate inventories to meet the production schedule. Responsibilities include weekly requisitions of all ingredients required for production. This individual will monitoring ingredient inventory levels daily to ensure that delivery schedules are updated to meet changing production schedules, and that scheduled deliveries arrive in time for production needs. It will be vital for the Materials Manager to balance the need to meet ingredient requirements with the goals of maximizing inventory turnover and minimizing freight and demurrage costs.
As a culture that continuously challenges us to Stand Tall and think “What’s Next?”, we’ll empower you to challenge the status quo in quality. Join a company that believes in bettering our work every day to enrich the lives of pets and the people who love them.
- Maintain regular communication with suppliers, shippers and Nestlé Purina associates to ensure that inbound ingredients and outbound finished product are moving as scheduled, with the goal of minimizing cost and maximizing customer service
- Manage ingredient contract application and ingredient payment approvals for the Mechanicsburg plant. Ensure that manifolds are applied and paid correctly
- Work with the Transportation Manager and assist by sourcing carriers to haul freight into and out of the Mechanicsburg plant by setting up contracts
- Train, develop and challenge employees, and provide regular feedback to maximize plant performance
- Recommend and support continuous improvement initiatives related to job functions, including capital improvements and systems upgrades
- Manage claims suppliers with respect to loss, damage or billing discrepancies
- Directly communicate and facilitate the pallet program set up by the Transportation Manager to ensure prompt removal of pallets and trailer available as needed
- Review Current Price report sent weekly from St. Louis buyers to ensure all commodities are listed and current prices
- Review all inbound freight bills and accessorials Assign contract and release number and verify any additional charges against shuttle logs and other sources
- Manage outside storage inventory, payments, receipts and communication
Perform all other duties as assigned.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum):
- Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years’ experience in a leadership role in materials buying and procurement with in a manufacturing environment
Job: Materials Manager
Primary Location: Mechanicsburg, PA US
Career Area: Professional