Ingredient Specialist I/II
For more than 100 years, Purina has been revolutionizing pet food testing and production, and its ability to enrich the lives of pets everywhere. By 1956, mastering new production techniques, we literally reshaped pet care, introducing Dog Chow® as the first extruded dry food. We’re still at it today, with Tidy Cats®, the lightweight cat litter champion of the world and the leader in the larger category. Such leadership requires constant innovation and renovation, which is so often rooted in our world-class food production standards.
As an Ingredient Specialist I/II you will be part of the Technical Services group who is responsible for the development of short to intermediate-term products, engineering processes, ingredient development and packaging solutions for the business. We are seeking an Ingredient Specialist to join our team to provide technical support in the execution of Procurement Strategies for the United States and Canadian markets and to provide factory support. The individual will be responsible for participating in the qualification of new raw materials, suppliers, and provide technical support of existing suppliers. He /she will also help with identifying and leading performance, ingredient-related and quality improvement projects. Across all elements of the job, the individual will have the opportunity to work on fast-paced, multi-functional teams focused on getting new ingredients and new vendors in support of NPPC strategies and providing technical support to NPPC factories.
We’re a global organization known widely as a ‘Best Place to Work’. Our culture continuously dares us to stand taller and ask “what’s next?” Are you up to the dare?
- Participate in the development and implementation of new and existing ingredients to support existing products and develop new products.
- Participate in the management of product specifications NPPC system with the appropriate, nutritional, regulatory, and analytical requirements. Also includes issuing to manufacturing plant, and maintaining as needed.
- Participates in the qualification of new raw materials and/or suppliers and act as ingredient lead for all assigned ingredients/raw materials which includes understanding raw material and manufacturing process and impact on NPPC finished products
- Act as technical resource for Procurement to develop a robust pipeline of ingredient development opportunities, which includes developing ingredient project plans and timelines for all assigned projects
- Provides technical expertise within “discipline” as it relates to business unit objectives.
- Collaboratively and proactively keeps management and key team project members apprised of issues, risks, timing, and contingencies relevant to technical and business success.
- Proactively monitors and provides ingredient maintenance for assigned ingredient portfolio responsibilities requiring standardized scientific procedures.
- Uses standard guidelines and capability studies to develop ingredients in conjunction with formulation systems, factory systems, Quality Assurance and Marketing to link to product performance and specifications.
- Works closely with the factory and quality to establish new ingredient and ingredient process specifications
- Understands and effectively uses NPPC systems and tools required for scheduling activity and tests, collecting and analyzing data, and completing and disseminating accurate reports.
- Explores innovative application of pet food product/process/ingredient possibilities based on current state of art in the area of food technology.
- Initiates and implements cost reduction ideas for assigned projects.
- Travel: 40%
Perform all other duties as assigned.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum):
- Ingredient Specialist I
- Bachelor’s degree in an agriculture, cereal science, plant science, agronomy, plant pathology, or related field AND 1+ years of experience in qualifying materials/ingredients with suppliers/vendors, supply chain, procurement, or product development
- MS/PhD degree in a related field
- Ingredient Specialist II
- Bachelor’s degree in an agriculture, cereal science, plant science, agronomy, plant pathology, or related field AND 4+ years of experience in qualifying materials/ingredients with suppliers/vendors, supply chain, procurement, or product development
- MS degree & 3+ years of experience in qualifying materials/ingredients with suppliers/vendors, supply chain, procurement, or product development
- PhD degree & 2+ years of experience in qualifying materials/ingredients with suppliers/vendors, supply chain, procurement, or product development.
#LI-MS st. louis saint louis
Job: Ingredient Specialist I/II
Primary Location: Saint Louis, MO US
Career Area: Professional