Food Safety Team Leader (Quality Assurance)
Not only is Purina an industry leader and at the cutting edge of pet food innovations that are revolutionizing the business, we’ve set the gold standard in Quality Assurance. We’re backed by a 2010 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, but more significantly, we’re grounded in a strong values system of developing high-quality products with unconditional integrity, passion, expertise, performance and innovation.
The Food Safety Team Leader is responsible for development, management, compliance, on-going sustainability and continuous improvement of the factory’s Food Safety Programs to assure all products are manufactured, packaged, stored and shipped under safe and wholesome conditions. Additionally, this Team Leader manages the factory's Food Safety Program to ensure compliance to Nestlé, Nestlé Purina, factory, and federal, state, and local regulatory requirements. This role is vital in promoting quality awareness and will serve as an ambassador and as an example of Food Safety and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) compliance throughout the facility and with customers/vendors/contractors. The HACCP Coordinator and Plant Hygienist will report to this individual.
The Food Safety Team Leader will join our Nestlé PURINA PetCare factory in Crete, NE - one of the largest wet pet food manufacturing facilities in the U.S. as a mass producer of over three million cans of wet pet food per day, which include our Alpo®, Purina ONE®, Pro Plan®, Friskies® and Purina Veterinary Diets® brands. With the city of Lincoln just 25 miles from the factory, many of our associates find convenience in larger-city living in Lincoln and embrace the short commute to the quainter city of Crete.
• Function as the Food Safety Team Leader (as defined in ISO 22000:2005 and NPPC procedures) and ensure compliance to the Food Safety Management System requirements
• Manage the factory foreign material prevention and detection programs
• Ensure there is an effective sanitary/hygienic design review process, at the factory, for existing and new processes as well as the factory structure
• Provide leadership/direction in the area of hygienic design by working directly with the engineering and maintenance departments on Sanitary Design of equipment and modifications prior and during installation
• Coordinate training and development of employees for all factory food safety programs (areas include: sanitation, GMP, Pest Control, trailer/railcar inspection programs, compliance inspections and hygienic engineering)
• Function as the primary contact for the factory Bio-Security programs, responsible for the development, implementation and the adaptation of the program internally and on a vendor level (as required).
• Provide support for all internal and external audits of the factory including NMA/NGA, NGMP, NQMS, ISO, Regulatory and Customer
• Manage and administer Nestlé Quality Systems focusing on Food Safety. This includes QMS, Trace and Recall, Formal Release, HACCP, Bio-Security, Lot Coding, GMP, and documentation.
• Assure SOPs and SSOPs are in place and active for all critical functions
• Assure compliance to 21 CFR Part 108 Emergency Permit Control, Part 110 GMP, Packing or Holding Human Food, Part 113 Thermally Processed Low-Acid Foods in Hermetically Sealed Containers, and part 507 GMP, Hazard Analysis, and Preventive Controls for Food for Animals
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist Corporate Quality Assurance/Food Safety with supplier and customer inspections and training (as required).
• Arrange contracts with outside Contractors for special projects (as required).
Perform all other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED Equivalency
3+ years’ experience in a quality assurance role within a food or pharmaceutical manufacturing environment
Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or a related discipline
Job: Food Safety Team Leader (Quality Assurance)
Primary Location: Crete, NE US
Career Area: Professional