Packaging Team Leader
For more than 100 years, Purina has been revolutionizing pet food production, and its ability to enrich the lives of pets everywhere. By 1956, mastering new production techniques, we literally reshaped pet care, introducing Dog Chow® as the first extruded dry food. Such leadership requires constant innovation and renovation, which is so often rooted in our world-class food production standards.
Located in North America’s wind belt, Davenport is at the forefront of renewable energy technology and has remained home to our largest manufacturing facility since 1927. Originally producing cereal, the factory became a pet food-only manufacturer in the late ‘90’s and now carefully produces, packages and ships several varieties of our Dog Chow®, Puppy Chow®, Alpo®, Beneful®, Purina ONE®, Cat Chow®, Kitten Chow®, Friskies® and Kit N Kaboodle® brands.
As our Packaging Team Leader, you’ll be responsible for supervising Packaging and Further Processing personnel during the off shift, with the flexibility to rotate weekends as needed. From you, this position requires strong leadership skills. People and process development will also be critical to this role. The Packaging Team Leader must mentor staff, contribute to continuous process improvement and ensure that proper sanitation and safety guidelines are being met.
1. Direct supervision of hourly employees in the Packaging and Further Processing
Department of Dry Pet.
A. Insure a safe and clean environment per PMP requirements and defect scores.
B. Develop training programs for Packaging or Further Processing personnel as needed.
2. Manage the production or packaging schedule to maximize output while minimizing
3. Promote a “Total Quality” theme in the work environment assuring target compliance.
Focus on Product Safety.
4. Coordinate cross functionally with all team leaders and managers in meeting total
5. Confer with engineering and maintenance in coordination of repairs, modifications, etc.
Assist in the development of plant capital programs.
6. Manage ingredient handling (coatings, liquids, analyze variances, etc.)
7. Manage data entry, written and oral communication with all departments as required.
8. Work with order planner and warehouse to meet customer demand.
9. Manage packing supply, coupons, and premium inventory.
10. Support the developmental needs of transferees/new hires whenever applicable.
11. Promote and execute the Plant Environmental Policies.
Perform all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 2+ years’ of leadership experience, preferably in a Production Environment
- 1+ years’ of experience working in a continuous process manufacturing environment.
Job: Packaging Team Leader
Primary Location: Davenport, IA US
Career Area: Professional